Monday 15 November 2010

Written Interview with Nepalese Artist

Name:Milan Rai (milanrai.com)

                               (via: http://www.spacesnepal.com/archives/jan_feb010/splashes.htm)

 


INTERVIEW WITH MILAN RAI


Sustika- from your point of view what is an art?
Milan - I don't think i can give you a definitive answer all i can say for now is it is a creative process.

Sustika - At what age did you know you would be interested in being a part of Art world?
Milan - I was one of those bright kid who loved roaming outside the class room and in my teenage i got expelled from high school and this moment of social complacency was challenging for someone , who never went to any art schools and it distanced me from my own identity and later on i became convinced of the need of an art in my life and I re- entered the art world i call it my re- entry because i was already a part of it . i used to draw and paint since my early childhood



Sustika -can you tell us more about your painting ?
Milan-My painting is not about being infront of a canvas until something appears or until i find out something but its about being infront of a canvas until i lost everything



Sustika - as u mentioned earlier that art is a creative process so can u tell us more about your own process ?
Milan - i trust my intuition while i paint and my painting becomes a process without a schematic process, free from expected forms, and figures are figuratively unknown, as they come unintentionally and unknowingly. I enjoy going beyond the boundaries, I pick up anything around me and it becomes my tool to transform my personal impulses into a unique artistic expression. The movement of colors in a canvas brings me closer to life and makes me realize that the art is form of life. In my every brush stroke I hear the tribal rhythmic incessant beat which makes me quieter and hear my own heart pounding which makes me believe that the painting lives.



Sustika -Who are your inspiration?
Milan- first couple of years i painted completely in isolation. later on growing as an artist i got interested in newer methodologies and conceptualization and i got influenced by the modern artists practicing different form of art wheather they be artist,musician, poet or writers , the work of pollock, pasolini, ,beckett , robin rhode and the influence of the other contemporary artist can be felt in me.

Sustika -Have you ever done any graffiti?
Milan-No i havent done any

Sustika - As being a Nepalese artist what do you think about UK based famous graffiti artist like Banksy?
Milan- Bansky seems foreign but familiar to me . I have been inspired by his ephemereal appearances and his inventive presence . It reminds me of 2004 where he walked into the louvre museum in paris and hung his painting by himself , and when the painting was removed he said, to actually go through the process of having a painting to be selected is quiet boring its lot more fun to go and put your own one up. It made me believe not to believe in any kind of art competition but in a freedom to express healthily. personally i like his energy which is sporadic yet so continuous.



Sustika -As an artist what is your view on graffiti, Art or Vandalism?
Milan -Graffiti artist are contributing art in their own styles ,attitudes ,and values adding their pages in the history of city walls. enacting a studio in public place ,unannounced event with an uninvited audience in the streets, inspired by the sound scape of a city, horns, footsteps, siren, noise, is an intense excitement i guess as an artist I don't think they are vandalizing or violating. but creating in a new way. i remember one interview of an artist, where he said that he painted something in the corner of a wall and was not satisfied with the result and coming back after two days he finds someone has kicked a hole in a wall and it looked 'perfect ' and that moment was the most exciting moment for him so what do u call this ? is it a destruction ? or another creation ? i think it was the most significant and unprepared collaboration not vandalism.

Milan's  Art Work 






No comments:

Post a Comment